I really wish I could draw. I wish I had a scanner, too. If I had a scanner, I'd be tempted to draw a couple of webcomics. Since I can't and don't, I need you to use your intelligence and imagination to supply the art for the following:
1. Young library worker comes up to where two middle aged library workers are talking. They all politely exchange greetings. The youngster is wearing killer shoes--pointy toes, short stiletto, two-tone leather. One of the oldsters says, "Nice shoes, B." Youngster says "They really comfortable. My mom says I spend too much on shoes, but these were only $60--that's not bad!" First oldster says "No," looking down at her Birkenstocks, "these were $90." Second oldster looks down at her Mephistos and says "These were $120." Youngster is visibly shocked that oldsters are paying that much for ugly shoes. Second oldster continues, "You have to have comfortable shoes. We're on our feet all day. Besides, it's your money, right? Moms."
2. Two young library workers are chatting in the workroom, while engaged in boring monotonous tasks. I mean skills! A middle-aged librarian is taking her break, reading a book in the nearby break room. The two youngsters are talking about college, which one of them is attending. The other explains that she is going to start taking some distance ed classes, and then after she gets that done, she'll do library school. She says fairly loudly "Once you've got a library degree, you're pretty much golden." Librarian falls off rolling chair laughing.
I hereby have to credit two young library workers who sort of work for me. They don't want their names used, but the give me countless hours of joy.
Since I can't draw, this has turned my brain to scriptwriting. I've been convinced for some time that we need a primetime comedy show set in a public library. It's perfect. Like Scrubs. Recurring characters, clueless administration, flavor of the week. You could have gorgeous young things and crafty old codgers. There could be a romance between a young librarian and an academic librarian. There could be lots of stress because their schedules don't mesh, and he's looking to take a sabbatical next year in Korea...oh the richness, the humor, the folly, all there in technicolor! Now that might change the stereotype. Mind you, I am beginning to enjoy being a dried-up old maid librarian...
3 comments:
Once you've pitched the show to the networks, count me in as a writer...
But what to call it???
Check out http://www.abc.net.au/tv/librarians/
Of course, someone in Australia is already on it. I am once again unoriginal. I hope the AUS series makes it here. I wonder if they will be able to make the black comedy the subject deserves. What do you think?
Post a Comment