
OK, mission accomplished. I went to work yesterday as a branch librarian. In the newly purchased car, driving to work (a very novel experience for this city girl) with the navigator telling me how many miles to my next exit (only two freeways, TG), I considered how for me, yesterday was my real California beginning. Not that my personal life is unimportant! But I've been on something of an extended honeymoon, for chrissakes. Which is kind of weird, all by itself. The adjustment period was good, as I can't imagine coping if I'd started two weeks after I got here.
Anyway, my new MPOW is downright cushy. Lovely facilities, lots of staff, supplies, acquisitions budget stuffed. It's a little hard to believe it's a public library. My staff greeted me with flowers and a cake. The Friends vice president almost hugged me. I am very welcome. They don't know me, of course, but still, it was nice. I spent most of the day with the acting branch librarian, a temporary appointment who has been on loan for several months. Right there, the difference between library administration's was apparent. At MFPOW, the vacancy would have been vacant for months, and the staff and public left to cope. They even have substitutes for the support staff. My former head of support staff would think she'd died and gone to heaven.
I did spend a little time on the reference desk, and learning Millenium. So refreshing to learn a new ILS--it has been quite a while. I placed four holds (only one for myself). I made a point of getting a card early on. Priorities. Plus I really helped a patron looking for historical fiction. My depth of knowledge was far superior to that of the other two librarians there. So that eased a little of my fears about reader's advisory.
Oooh. I fisnished The Last Days of Dogtown. Not a bad read, but kind of precious. A lot of telling how wonderful a characer was, without showing. I still haven't figured out why the main character was the main character. I am jaded. Off to get ready for work!
1 comment:
I'm so glad to hear how fabulous the new job it. Congratulations!!!
Post a Comment