EDUCAUSE Review entitled "Libraries: Standing at the Wrong Platform, Waiting for the Wrong Train?"
Reminder to self to read this...fascinating discussion over at Web4Lib. A recent experience for me was requesting The Search by John Battelle in August. It is the LISNew Book Club title for October-November. It's still on order at the local publib. I give up. I will buy it. Read it. Then give to publib. I am of such cheapness this is killing, but then again, I do want to read it. On-demand ordering would suit me fine, in this instance.
Document delivery issues at MFPOW (my former place of work; going to have to make if OOMFPLOW--adding "one of"--at some point. How silly can these get? Ask Offspring about FF7SFTIPC--Final Fantasy Seven Stick Figure Theater Intellectual Property Concerns. Yes--a nineteen year old with IPC!) were incredibly layered. It really bothered me that someone writing a letter or sending an email got far better treatment than an actual physical human standing in front of you or on the phone...
Unrelatedly except for wrong planet aspect: I got my criminal background check from my soon to be employer. I requested a copy out of curiosity. Nothing criminal in seven states under my actual name. Good news. They also checked under my first name with my former spouse's surname. (I hate that that is even a possibility in a computer's mind. I never used that name, not even socially. Divorced 10 years. But there's NO ESCAPE.)
Then here's the bizarro one with no emotional load: I was once issued a store credit card with a typo in my surname. Had the store fix it pretty quick. Completely nonexistent surname with a history of one month maybe? Now there is a criminal background check on that non-existent person, as well. So I apparently have an alias.
All this checking, but they still don't know about lislemck. I am tempted to stand on my balcony and say MUWHAHAHA, but I am not teh evil.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment