Tuesday, November 22, 2005

UFOs (Ubiquitous Findable Objects)

Apparently, I share a Myers-Briggs Type Indicator with Peter Morville. I didn't make it all the way through the article when I got stopped by that. I find Morville interesting, even though his ego, as seen through Web4Lib, seems enormous. Maybe I do better with the interpersonal sensitivity? I'll never think of myself as a scientist. I'll fall on the art side of the library-science-or-art? debate most likely. Thank god it's not a very sharp sword to fall on. Maybe because I rely on intuition to find objects? Seriously. I do better walking up to the shelves and making a stab than I do trying a subject search in Millenium. Of course, by the time I have found THE subject heading and then narrowed the results to our tiny fragment of holdings, enough time has elapsed for the patron's kids to drag them off to a far distant corner of the children's room. Book will probably not be findable. Our shelves are in parlous order, and apparently no one marks items missing on any regular basis.

Working with a small slice of libraryland is very different than working in a hulking behemoth of 3 million volumes. I have been weeding reference. How interesting! We own barely anything on countless subjects (3 shelves on serial killers, though), but we keep ELDERLY medical directories. Egad. I keep thinking how much nimbleness matters. Not just speed, but grace. For those of you not acquainted with my real world manifestation, nimble and grace are not the first descriptors you would assign me. But I like to think that nimbleness of mind will make up for it. I am REALLY hoping to gain insight into our implementation of Millenium's mind soon. Because as good as my intuition is, I can't track all the UFOs.

I finished The Good Wife by Stewart Onan last night. I really liked reading an interior novel across 25 years. Maybe it's just my age. Plus the setting. I have driven through Owego, New York at least a thousand times in my life. It's on the back way from Binghampton (and points south) to where I lived from ages five to eleven. My sister, who qualifies as a good wife indeed, still lives there. Today is her husband's funeral. So, as so often happens, my reading was tinged with outside things that no other reader can likely experience. But the poverty and boredom of a rural area, plus the change over time from a culture around hunting season and football to chain stores and TV seemed well-drawn to me. I don't know how it would affect another reader. Too close for comfort here.

My posts have been few and far between, I know. Apologies, sweet readers. I have little free time to blog. Or read at all. It is killing. Note that I did not go back to bed for an extra hour on this, my late night at work. I almost miss the intense boredom at MFPOW, as that is how I got involved with blogs in the first place...they've started a blog at MNPOW re: their electronic resources. Not a single comment on it. Should I be the first to try and start a conversation, or wait until I pass probation? Hmmmmm.

3 comments:

Babylon Sister said...

Part of why they hired you was your e-resources expertise. Dip your toe in. Just don't splash to much.

lislemck said...

HA ha ha ha...I was not hired for my skills with electronic resources. The are invisible in my current setting. I don't really have a clue why I was hired. My listening skills? My boss did mention those. Since I spend most of our meetings nodding my head about the importance of managing change, while trying to work around to my ENORMOUS questions about vacation leave, holidays, automated timesheets; gevult.

I am so nervous about my performance in this job that I think I wouldn't jump on an issue if it bit me. Well, of course I did start some things this week when I complained about our teen site pointing to hentai anime. Couldn't let that ride. But do I ever hope it wasn't too much! (Paycheck, please...) Am I saying too much here?

Babylon Sister said...

I find it hard to concieve you won't exceed expectations - by a great deal.

But - I certainly know first hand the job market realities for the over 40 set can scare the hell out of you. Even though my extended underemployment had more than one stigma behind it.

Thankfully, I remembered - It's not what you know - it's not who you know - It's what you know about who you know.