Saturday, May 13, 2006

P and P and Crusie and...moving to the groove

Ha! You thought I'd a) stopped reading b) lost my password c) stopped caring. Wrong on all counts. But I have been burdened by work, moving, and a slooow internet collection. I swore it wouldn't be a month between posts again. I did do a couple of drafts, but didn't have the time to polish. (What, you thought this is completely off the top o' the brain? No, I spare you that.)

Now I have moved to a new apartment half a block from the beach, and I am actually paying for internet access--first time in approximately ten years. Though there are wireless networks at the new place, they were unreliable and slow. (the nerve! free service unreliable? slow?). Now we have wireless DSL! Soon to be followed by a new laptop. Our nonmarriage is rather challenged only by the sharing of a solitary iMac. Once I tumble for the new MacBook, look out world. (Poll: comment if you think I should pay $150 extra for the black one).

But I am typing this right now while having my Prius serviced. Just a routine oil change. Imagine, this dealership, with palm trees all around the lot, has an internet cafe. Wireless. If your don't mind, I'll just take a moment to glory in Californianess...oh, car is done.

My reading for the past few months has been hindered by fatigue, and a large collection of mass market Regencies donated to the Boyfriend's library. He gave me a shopping bag with over twenty titles at Christmas. What happens when you give a junkie crack? Right. None of them were good, except the Marion Chesney, but did that stop me?

A day later, at the fabulous Casa Pacifica, and to work on this post:Flirting with Pride and Prejudice, edited by Jennifer Crusie. Strange cover art. 1907 Marcus Stone with superimposed shopping bags, cell phone and Starbucksian coffee cup. Fun essays plus some thought provoking--"High-Class Problems" by Laura Caldwell, "Gold Diggers of 1813" by Jo Beverley; "Any Way You Slice It" aka love and onions by Elisabeth Fairchild. Proof positive that romance writers think a lot about their business. You'd have to be completely obsessed with P & P to read every essay. But that probably does describe quite a large number of people :D Personally, I decided to buy the BBC DVD set for my library after my recent friends group meeting which featured a discussion of Colin Firth's roles in P & P and Bridget Jones...

Don't Look Down...Only the dumb luck of library requests that I got these two in the same month. OMG. A Crusie novel with a child in a high-powered gun sight in the first ten pages. It is a testament to my love for Jenny that I kept reading. It was not the worst book I read this year. But not the laugh-out-loud or been-there-done-that yucks I usually get from Crusie. OK, I am a pacifist. I do not get kicks out of military heroes. I have been steadfastly refusing to read Suzanne Bronkmann, though my sisters love her. I read DLD while packing and moving--not my best attention mode, but I wanted an escape! Of course, I loved the part about missing the dogs from the dog food commercials. The Wonder Woman theme was fun.

So I could spot Crusie here and there, but I got more satisfaction over the short intros to each essay in Flirting. I have nothing against Jenny trying new things. I am so glad my library-covered copy kept from me the camo cover. If I'd seen that, I would not have read it. I will not be buying it for the collection, which will no longer include every Crusie I could get my hands on from the Harlequin Getting Rid of Bradley on. What an ugly sentence. But I am determined to finish this post! I am not bashing the book here; just not my cup of tea.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

the black one will be cool for six months, It is very cool now though.--Matt