How I avoid blogging:
1. Washing breakfast dishes
2. Showering
3. Trimming toe nails
4. Going to work
5. Reading other blogs
6. Commenting on other blogs
7. Working at home
8. Housekeeping.
OK. Time for the rubber to hit the super highway. (Does ayone still call the internet that? besides me?) I should have listed reading novels as another blog avoidance technique.
Maul by Tricia Sullivan. Cover quote: "This is the new face of Feminist SF" Cheryl Morgan. Blurb: "Sheri S. Tepper meets Neal Stephenson (and kicks his ass!) in this feminist-cyberpunk thriller by Arthur C. Clarke Award-winning author Tricia Sullivan."
I am not so sure. The opening pargraphs were gripping enough, and the plot lines convoluted, so I promoted this title from lunch/break reading to taking it home for a weekend. Unfortunately, girls with guns creating havoc as a game for human male lab rats in a future where viruses have killed most men did not really hold my attention after around 80 pages. Hard to think how that could become very predictable, but it did. I don't think I have ever felt that Sheri or Neal had painted themselves into such corners. I guess I think Sullivan's character development was too shallow. I did not feel invested in main characters Sun or Meniscus. Having the narrative go back and forth between them just made it seem disjointed, and the ending too much deus ex machina even for me, and I like deuses and machinas. Oh well. Hum ho. Could be worse. I did like the cover art.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment