Bad days in libraryland:
Seven libraries to close in San Diego
Sorry that link will die in a few days.
Eleven libraries to close in Philadelphia
That one, too.
Largest library closure in U.S. looms
I think this one stays?
OK, we all are going to have to make sacrifices, due to some bad decisions made by people who made bad decisions.
OK, I'll give up some of my indulgences. But why are libraries on the block sooo quickly? One day after the election of a guy who seems like he would like libraries.
Are libraries luxuries, indulgences? Did everyone miss that bit about public libraries being all about resource sharing? How many retirees have told me that the library has allowed them to keep up their reading and cut their costs. Call me a socialist. Let's raise taxes, shrink the military budget, fund education.
Oh, so sorry, we need another stimulus package to help banks' balances, pay off our credit cards, or the rent or the groceries. Stimulating the mind is just out. I'll just keep reading escapist fluff and not think about it.
Except I do think about it. I know real estate and building have already taken a hit. I know there are layoffs coming in the auto industry, retail, the indulgence industries. I have just been through this "libraries are the fat in the budget" dance so many times.
I know some would say we have not made a meaningful case for our existence. I think we have, with every toddler story hour and book discussion group, the video games for all ages, the catalogs full of dear books, DVDs and downloadable audio books, the wifi access, the public internet access with printers that work reliably. Do we really need to limit that access now?
I've looked at the lists of libraries that may be closed. Some of those neighborhoods don't have another option. There will be hearings and speeches, rallies, and email campaigns in the next few weeks. Let's see if the politicians can suck it up, raise taxes even, and if we can continue to make bad times better with good libraries. Jejune?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment