My library was not a polling place today. However, the community center next door was. So we directed a number of customers there. As well as to a variety of other polls, via smartvoter.org.I loved some of the results, like GARAGE (residence) 1234 Anders Ranch Terr. I wonder what it's like to vote in a neighbor's garage.
Coincidentally, I did a program in the community center this morning. We had a light drizzle (which made us very happy in droughtland). The poll didn't have a long line, but certainly steady traffic while I was there from 10:30-11:30. I was doing a program for the seniors who attend a nutrition program hosted by the Salvation Army there. It was "remembering" program based on a Bifolkal kit. We were remembering music. The memories the customers shared were from the 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s. That covered a lot of music! It was fun. The kit included a sing-along CD and booklets with music and lyrics. One of the songs was I Whistle A Happy Tune. We sang and whistled along, and I have to say it cheered me up. I was whistling most of the day, which helped as I worried about the election.
I also thought about the places I have voted in the past. My first vote was at a church on the corner of the block I lived on as a teenager. I practiced driving in the parking lot long before I got a license. I've voted in a college dorm, a vacant store, a library, an elementary school, an apartment building "club room", a different vacant store, a recreation center, a church basement, a senior citizens home, most recently a Masonic center. It's been quite a trip, and a very interesting trip today down memory lane. I'm still whistling watching the returns, though of course I never expressed anything political at work, with customers or staff. So permit me my political moment here.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment