I know the story is two years old - but here's another about transgender people, librarians & veterans. This story doesn't mention - but Alice had lost employment & been unable to find it due to her transgender history. Discrimination at work & by the social service system is of course the larger story.
Shelters bar trans homeless Upcoming report from mayor's commission may include little on trans population, member says
By JENNIFER J. SMITH
"As of 14 Dec. I'm one of the homeless. Shelters don't take transsexuals and I'm not changing back. Looks like I'm a goner. Thanks for the support over the past few years. Hugs, Alice."
The outgoing, automatic reply on Alice Johnston's e-mail account proved true a day later.
Johnston, 52 - an Army veteran of three wars, a librarian, a computer engineer and a male-to-female transsexual - died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound Dec. 15 along the banks of the Chattahoochee River in Fulton County, according to the Fulton County Medical Examiner's office.
1 comment:
I know the story is two years old - but here's another about transgender people, librarians & veterans. This story doesn't mention - but Alice had lost employment & been unable to find it due to her transgender history. Discrimination at work & by the social service system is of course the larger story.
Southern Voice
Feb. 15, 2003
Source: http://www.southernvoice.com/atlanta/index.php3?pub=atl)
Shelters bar trans homeless
Upcoming report from mayor's commission may include little on trans population, member says
By JENNIFER J. SMITH
"As of 14 Dec. I'm one of the homeless. Shelters don't take transsexuals and I'm not changing back. Looks like I'm a goner. Thanks for the support over the past few years. Hugs, Alice."
The outgoing, automatic reply on Alice Johnston's e-mail account proved true a day later.
Johnston, 52 - an Army veteran of three wars, a librarian, a computer engineer and a male-to-female transsexual - died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound Dec. 15 along the banks of the Chattahoochee River in Fulton County, according to the Fulton County Medical Examiner's office.
Post a Comment