...the thoughts are broken...
Wow, the link to Mark's book in Open Worldcat took me to the ebook! Am going to dabble--chapter heading "To classify is human" lured me in.
Of course, the whole "what am I, invisible?" thing hooked me as well. I dunno. I have been reading Status Anxiety by Alan de Botton. De Botton is about my level in reading about philosophy. The parts about how others view us and why it is so important to us, on so many different levels--I am really hoping I can become more philosophical without becoming a misanthrope. Better men than me, and all.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I couldn’t agree more on the gender neutral citations getting around some of the issues in your post on Mark's blog. Though - speaking of invisible - the thought that everyone identifies as one of two approved genders is itself an erasure and limitation.
And what of those with gender neutral names. Did they assume to know the gender of that author? It shows how deeply the ideas of gender are entrenched in society - is their really a need for names to be gender specific?
Says the one who changed their name. A comparison to the UK where the use of an initial for citations seems to be the norm might be interesting.
Glad to be of service! Philosophy, in its best service, as a critique of other ways of thought has done wonders to open my eyes, and my heart, to other ways of being in the world. And possibly even more importantly, it has shown me the destructiveness of the standard Western (elite white male) way of seeing and representing the world. I say more important because until one can realize the multitude, or even some, of the limits of this view they will most likely not be able to accept other more inclusive views.
I continued the discussion over on my blog to include the issue of a binary gender discrimination, since I didn't want to post a lengthy comment here without your permission.
Post a Comment