I don't plan to offer memes often, but I couldn't resist this one. Via LISnews:
Books
Kathleen de la Pena McCook writes "There's a book meme bouncing about wherein bloggers answer these questions about books and reading and then send it on.
You're stuck inside Fahrenheit 451, which book do you want to be? Sense & Sensibility by Jane Austen. I figure P&P was already taken. :)
Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character? Many many. Mr. Darcy, for one.
What are you currently reading? Wicked by Gregory Maguire; The Cluetrain Manfesto; The Popol Vuh; and Perfect Madness.
The last book you bought is: An art book by a colleague. Generally I borrow! :D
The last book you read: The Known World No, I forgot! Amend that to The Night Gardener (There may have been something after that, and there has now been something since both :D. Keeping track of reading resolution violated again this year!)
Five books you would take to a deserted island: Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon (Pirate=another crush); Philosophies of Art and Beauty by Hofstadter & Kuhns; The Rememberance of Things Past by Marcel Proust; War and Peace by Leo Tolstoi; and Welcome to Temptation by Jennifer Crusie. Wait, I'm not going! Not without more books!
I apologize for the links to Amazon. Open Worldcat is so limited, sigh, just a slice of data to make me salivate. I want it all! GDI, I work at a member library, but nooooo, I can't "see" Worldcat. You are not to go to Amazon and buy them. Go to your local public library and borrow them!
I hope this isn't too oft-putting a list. I generally read 4 books at once, not at great speed. And I mostly chose long books that I always meant to read again for the island because I would go apeshit. Truly, take away my free, easy access to millions of books and watch me cry. Does anyone ever list that as "why I became a librarian"?
There's something to explore about "ambient reading". Karen Schneider started me thinking about it with this post. It's not quite the meaning it has for me. What else I'm reading at the time often impacts my experience of a book. Believe it or not, I'm finding convergence between Cluetrain and Perfect Madness. Then there's the "what else is happening in my life" factor. My love for Terry Pratchett is no doubt due to his brilliance, but also because I really needed the laughs/escapism at the time I was reading him.
I'd love to see other people's responses, or at least pointers to them...hint, not-so-subtle hint.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
You're stuck inside Fahrenheit 451, which book do you want to be?
Transgender Care: Recommended Guidelines, Practical Information, and Personal Accounts
Sometimes I’m just too damn practical.
Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character?
One might be YT from Snow Crash – whether ‘pooning a car or ditching the feds, the girl has style. Though she’s way too young for me. More a wish fufillment fantasy of an unattainable past.
Snow Crash (Bantam Spectra Book) by NEAL STEPHENSON
What are you currently reading?
Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World by Jack Weatherford
Reason : Why Liberals Will Win the Battle for America by ROBERT B. REICH
The March of Folly : From Troy to Vietnam by BARBARA W. TUCHMAN
The last book you bought is:
The March of Folly : From Troy to Vietnam by BARBARA W. TUCHMAN
The last book you read:
The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco
Five books you would take to a deserted island:
Hmmm.. I’ll need to get back to you on that. Thinking of cheating by including some series/trilogies. I could be stuck there a long time.
Perfect Madness on Open WorldCat.
http://www.worldcatlibraries.org/wcpa/ow/ef1824f4ef21ad97a19afeb4da09e526.html
Note, Yahoo Search has indexed more OWC records than other engines. Cheers.
Thank you anonymous! Will remember to look at OWC via Yahoo!
Post a Comment