There's a Simpsons episode in which Homer promises to contribute a huge donation to PBS, just so they will shut down their fundraising and he can continue watching some program or other (wish I could remember what he was watching!). When he reneges on his donation, the Sesame Street characters chase him through the streets. Elmo shouts "Elmo knows where you live!"
We need some of that Elmo vengeance now. I am continually amazed by how threatened Republicans are by the most non-threatening things. They win an election in a huge way, yet they act like they are the ones beset by a triumphant, incipient liberalism! It's paranoid and it's dangerous that they feel they have to wipe out every vestige of culture they perceive as hostile to their values.
A Simpsons episode I know! I have to agree with you, Matthew. The culture of paranoia just seems rampant. Says the paranoid one. Why are the winners acting like losers? I think it predates 9/11. The Republicans dug their way out of loserdom in part by invoking hatred against their "oppressors". Though Ted Kennedy and Bill Clinton never seems likely oppressors to me. But I don't understand. "Defending marriage?" How will not allowing people to marry make marriage stronger? I guess if I understood, I might be a neoconservative? There are plenty of regular conservatives who are unhappy, too.
2 comments:
There's a Simpsons episode in which Homer promises to contribute a huge donation to PBS, just so they will shut down their fundraising and he can continue watching some program or other (wish I could remember what he was watching!). When he reneges on his donation, the Sesame Street characters chase him through the streets. Elmo shouts "Elmo knows where you live!"
We need some of that Elmo vengeance now. I am continually amazed by how threatened Republicans are by the most non-threatening things. They win an election in a huge way, yet they act like they are the ones beset by a triumphant, incipient liberalism! It's paranoid and it's dangerous that they feel they have to wipe out every vestige of culture they perceive as hostile to their values.
A Simpsons episode I know! I have to agree with you, Matthew. The culture of paranoia just seems rampant. Says the paranoid one. Why are the winners acting like losers? I think it predates 9/11. The Republicans dug their way out of loserdom in part by invoking hatred against their "oppressors". Though Ted Kennedy and Bill Clinton never seems likely oppressors to me. But I don't understand. "Defending marriage?" How will not allowing people to marry make marriage stronger? I guess if I understood, I might be a neoconservative? There are plenty of regular conservatives who are unhappy, too.
Post a Comment