Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Whole Lot A Shakin' Goin' On

Yesterday, I tendered my resignation at MPOW. I am "following my bliss" and moving to San Diego to live with the boyfriend. My last day at MPOW will be August 19. Then I am taking 2 weeks to pack up and go to Wildwood Crest (a dry-as-in-no-alcohol Jersey Shore town) with family for three nights. The boyfriend is arriving to help with packing and to go "down the shore", as we say hereabouts. Then we will come back to Philly for a quick clean-up, and then head west in a rental car with the dog (who will never fly cargo).

The offspring has decided to stay in Philadelphia. She will be living with my co-ex-wife (a very close bond) and her little sister, while attending community college, assuming she learns how to drive by then!

I am putting my condo on the market. I met with the realtor who sold me the condo Monday night. He is recommending I list it for over $300,000. This blows my mind. Let's hope the bubble doesn't suddenly burst! I don't have a job yet in San Diego, but I have an interview next week. Cross your fingers and toes.

It is weird telling people via my blog. Seems harsh. Even though I won't be moving in blog terms. But it has been killing me not to talk about this. I predict that I will not be posting as often for a bit. As it is, we've been having connectivity issues here, plus there will be some electronic migration.

If any of you know a place in San Diego near the beach that takes dogs, please let me know ASAP! Or of job openings or people willing to network. Or friends wanting to make new friends. I am kind of terrified taking this big a plunge off a cliff, but at the same time, I am excited. Tempus fugit, no time like the present, etc.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Lisle! Congratulations on making this big decision! You couldn't be moving to a better place. Good luck with finding a job (and your bliss) in San Diego. Hopefully it'll get easier to find something once potential employers know you're living there.

lislemck said...

After three really good phone interviews, all three employers told me they liked me, but they were hiring someone who could start in two weeks. Well, I thought, if that's the way they do things, I just have to become someone who can start in two weeks. Meanwhile, I am terrified about it. I have never in my (long) adult life left a job without the next one lined up. But at least now, I can vent (just a little, promise) here about it.

Alane said...

Congrats! That's a brave (and good) thing to do. If we hear about anything in SD, I'll pass it along. Alice will be writing about a change of her own coming up soon.

Alane, on behalf of Alice and George too.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I'm not terribly familiar with the San Diego area, but I wish you the best of luck/opportunities/success. Welcome to Cali!

lislemck said...

Thanks, Eli! I think you are the first native to welcome me. At least I think you are a native, or at least been there longer than anyone I know...

It's nice for an Arab to be moving somewhere with lots of transients. Liminality, en masse! I love the nickname Cali. Isn't there some children's book with a heroine named Callie? And of course Nocal and Socal make me think of Gibson, who is working on a new book. Yeah!