Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Caveat Lector: W-O-R-S-T romance read in years

I wouldn't even mention it, but just in case anything I've ever written could be construed as a recommendation, avoid at all costs For My Lady's Heart. I can barely believe I got through it.

I hesitated to even give the WorldCat address. Do not borrow it. In the notes, Kinsale, my former love, said she had done all the dialogue between the main characters in Middle English. Then she dumbed it down for us lectors. I'm wondering if it would have been better if she had left it in Middle English? It explains the rather disjointed "voices" of the characters. I couldn't resist looking at reviews on Am-zon. There are no reader reviews, but Publisher's Weekly had this to say: Kinsale's tale is light on vitality and heavy on Middle English, plot twists and tedium." And I have said a PW review is just a puff piece paid advertisement. Did they not pay? Or does PW have a sense of shame? I am terribly ashamed.

No comments: