Sunday, May 15, 2005

If Could Read My Mind, Babe

If Search Engines Could Read Your Mind

I don't like Chris Sherman's tone in this article--more of the "stupid user" view. Which ended up being an incredibly rich thread on Web4Lib. The long-awaited move to a WebJunction server is this week. I will post the new address when I get it. Even though I'm not a library web developer, Web4Lib is my absolute favorite library list.

Well, I beat 20Q. I think it thinks I cheated. I thought of a dallah, a brass Arabian coffeepot. You may say not a common object, but common as sand some places. Google Image had no difficulty with it at all. Well, after 30 questions, 20Q gave up. I guess my neural network is still good. That, or 20Q is geared for folk who have never left this hemisphere. But I'm not sure. Please give it a try and let me know how you fare.

I'm going to try using del.icio.us tags to index this blog, following in the footsteps of Catalogablog. This may be painful and time-consuming. While working on my Wink tutorial on "when the paper isn't paper". Well, they keep me off the streets.

5 comments:

Babylon Sister said...

I tried 2 items & it couldn't guess either. Although one was quite esoteric- the other was quite common. It couldn't guess the host (communion wafer).

lislemck said...

Hmm. Is the host animal, vegetable or mineral? I never thought we'd have a transubstantiation versus consubstantiation debate on BBB! And I thought Library of Congres Subject Headings would prove the most devisive topic...

Babylon Sister said...

For the purpose of the quiz I deemed it vegetable - tawdry materialist that I am.

Sadly - I am conducting my education in public on this one; having never heard of consubstantiation prior to this post! Though after reading a bit, I can see why the nuns left this one out - it's a heresy!

So - for old time’s sake I'll stick with the trans. Gruesome as it sounds.

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/04322a.htm
Consubstantiation:
This heretical doctrine is an attempt to hold the Real Presence of Christ in the Holy Eucharist without admitting Transubstantiation.

http://www.christiancourier.com/questions/transubstantiationQuestion.htm
“What is the difference between ‘transubstantiation’ and ‘consubstantiation’?”

lislemck said...

I think I prefer Wikipedia's take: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecclesial_communities_contrasted" Comparing ecclesial communities sounds so much better than heresy. Mind you, I believe more in Tinkerbelle and Santa Clause (sic) than I do in any organized religion.

Babylon Sister said...

Hmmm....Tinkerbelle? She would look good on the half-shell. (keeping in ex-Catholic mode)

And the vestments would be fun:
http://www.zoogstercostumes.com/r16540.html