Thursday, August 25, 2005

Harlequin Shojo!

AlterNet: WireTap: U.S. Teenage Girls Prefer Japanese Heroes

Article is mostly dumb. Have they been under large rock? But Harlequin is going to publish Shojo manga, via Dark Horse, in the US. EEEEEEEEE!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You think this article is dumb-check this one out-
http://www.silverbulletcomicbooks.com/buddy/
104207800519030.htm
Women have been involved as colorists, pencilers and editors with Marvel and DC for decades. What they haven't generally done, though, is be well known as a comic's writer. When I think of famous comic book writers for the majors, I think of the obvious- John Byrne, Stan Lee, and Chris Claremont. All men, of course, However, I was involved in one too many nerdy conversations about Claremont's Uncanny X-Men with young women in the 80's to believe that book had mostly male appeal. It never was only boys who read comics. The change it that some women (mostly in Japan) are writing them. As for Harlequin, well, how's the art? Are we going to need to call a female penciler to fix it up?