I would love the stamp holder! my branch has something like it, and I've admired it. I still stamp cards and books, and I actually enjoy it. It's satisfying in the same way that typing an angry letter on a manual typewriter is. Thwack! Thwack-thwack! So there, take that! Whenever one of my colleagues makes fun of me (which is often, and always good-humored), I raise a stamp threateningly and warn them that they're about to be taken out of circulation.
I have something a little less tangible for you to take along: a patron saint named Saint Hiram. I recently created him. One of the Library Assistants at my branch is very culturally Catholic, and I'm impressed that she can invoke the name of a saint who specializes in interceding in whatever situation she happens to be in at the moment. So I decided that we needed a good Jewish saint, and that, since no saint has yet claimed patronage of gravitational lensing (my brother's dissertation topic), Saint Hiram will step in and take up the slack on that one. Another Library Assistant, a very funny man and a gifted poet, wrote this "Prayer to Saint Hiram the Hebrew:
Although the Pope in Rome may not approve
Nor think that it should ever well behoove
The Holy Church that Hiram might be sainted
(Who with meek Jesus is but ill acquainted),
I haggle ever humbly nonetheless
That Hiram intercede in my distress!
And if I do not get my way with Hiram,
I'll call upon the Lord above to fire him!
By BG
I should warn you, though, that so far when I have asked Saint Hiram for help, he's told me to get off my lazy tuchas and fix it myself. Sigh.
I thought being gifted with a Jewish saint to call on was wonderful, and I had to share the poem.
Now to find homes for all the other incredible ephemera. I mean the stuff too weird to put on the Psychic Shopping Network. I may need to call on Saint Hiram.I've launched my first Ebay auction ever. So far, I've made my starting bid. Which will at least save them fom the curb. Now, about the wedding china...
No comments:
Post a Comment