Saturday, August 27, 2005

Who's a boo?

That is the question I pose to my dog at least five times a day. She still hasn't answered. Sorry for the dog aside, but I am dog tired and she is being neurotic and in constant physical contact. She doesn't like luggage. Or furniture being moved. Or the doorbell ringing repeatedly. Or me keeping strange hours. This is all stressful and exhausting. It even interferes with naps! Dreadful. On the up side? Comforting her comforts me.

Today the PC, printer, scanner, tablet, speakers and headphones moved to Norristown. I am allowed to borrow this ibook until the end of the week for everyone's continued sanity. I have been very touched by the concern people have expressed about my state of connectivity. I am also concerned about what that says about me. I can live without a Treo, I swear. I am merely spoiled. I don't NEED the net, you see. Agh, I sound like every junkie I've ever known. Something to ponder in the red states, I suppose.

Ok, that last paragraph was a pathetic attempt to distract from the fact that the offspring and most of her possessions went with the PC. This is a bigger issue than connectivity. Or it is connectivity to the nth degree. I am having empty nest kind of in reverse, since I am the one really leaving the nest. Quite shocking. I expected the offspring would come with. Keep forgetting that fully-developed-human-who-is-captain-of-own-destiny thing. Did I mention she got her learner's permit? We have to do all this and more all at once. We know no other way.

So I am already figuring I must adopt a teen or teens in San Diego soon. There are bound to be some unsuspecting innocents available. It is the only thing that made saying goodbye to "my" teens at MPOW bearable. My belief in positive youth development is the veriest snare.

Oh, the reason I am allowed on to blather this evening, even though I have to pick up Matt at the airport at 5:30 a.m. tomorrow? Believe it or not, I have failed to finish another book! Definitely a record setting year. I left The March by E. L. Doctorow on the bedside table, thinking it was safe because it was too disturbing for bedtime reading. But any port in insomnia, right? Well, I was doing ok with the bullets in the brain, and the dismembered parts floating in the swamp, and the surgeon doing brain surgery, etc. But clunky dialogue, grasping transistions, no sympathetic characters? Feh. Better to pet the dog.

Forgot, read a putrid romance while flying back and forth. Too lazy to go look at the cover...and do not wish to give it the least nod anyway. Actually bought for $6 and it sucked! Already got SDPL library card and boyfriend placed hold on new Sue Monk Kidd--what a nice way to live! No word expected on interview until 9/1 or 2...deep breaths and visions of a universe in harmony.

No comments: