Alright, I am definitely going to layoff the 3 am blogging as soon as I can. Really. I would rather sleep. The dog would like it, too. But in the meantime, no biblio, but much blather...
The move thing is going swimmingly. The containers arrived Thursday right on time. I got the permit to park them in front of the building, the police put up the no parking signs on time as promised, the neighbors moved their cars. Just flawless. Understand that parking is a blood sport where I live. Cannot underscore the karma involved in pulling this off. Incredible. I even found two brand spanking new padlocks in the bottom of the toolchest. Some forgotten gift with purchase. Finding anything in the condo at all in the last few weeks is amazing. Do not take you eyes off anything, including your doughnut.
An assembly of the best friends ever took it in shifts to help me as I packed and packed and packed. Truly exemplary. Thank you. Thank thank thank you you you. Entire contents of apartment were weeded, sorted, and packed by the time boyfriend arrived at 5:20 am Sunday. Then, around noon, more friends and family gathered to load the container. Eleven people did it all in slightly under three hours. There is not enough beer and pizza in the world to express my thanks. They were flawless. I'm thinking if I were staying, I could hire them out. Three hours. Plus we got everything into one 5x8x8 foot container. Understand that a 46-year-old clutter-prone packrat got four rooms into what, 480 cu. ft., though the math is suspect. Something like that. I will accept all kudos graciously. Money is a great motivator, i.e., two containers=twice as much money.
In amongst all of this, so many goodbyes, so many really nice nice experiences. Kind of a high emotional tenor; terror mixed with hope, brutal physical labor, mountains of trash and discards. Freecycling and curbside donations. So much stuff. I am taking a vow not to accumulate so much stuff in future. Stuff is not where my wealth lies.
Now it's off for three nights at the beach with extended family, i.e., more emotional tenors, sopranos, altos, baritones, bass. But for once, I can almost bring myself to say, "It's all good." Then I remember I still have to clean this place. Oh well, karma points for that, right?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Oh so now I get to comment on how much I miss, already your actual voice saying these b-log words. I know we couldn't actually spend much time together but I really liked the idea of a really smart, creative un-cowed librarian coming behind me. The fact that you seem to think that libraries are important is a real comfort. Does everybody read these comments or just you? Well, your leaving takes on an enchanted aura as it gets written about. I'll see you tomorrow night at the GREAT GOODBYE. Allathea
Post a Comment