Getting rid of 3/4s (5/8s?, 13/16s? Agh, Whatever is the biggest fraction you can think) of my possessions turns out not to be the hardest part of this move. I am saying goodbye to a lot of people I really like or love. It may not seem shocking to you that this would be difficult. But it is for me. I moved a ton as a child. My father was an engineer. It's akin to being an Army brat. Or an oil brat. Or a foreign service brat. You learn to detach at an early age.
I have been in Philadelphia for ten years. It is true I have lived in four different domiciles in Philly, but they were all within a mile of each other. One zip code. This is the longest I have ever lived anywhere except NYC and environs. I spent nineteen years in I think 12 places including Hoboken and Jersey City. Bunch of different zip codes. I worked in Manhattan the entire time. When I left J.C. ten years ago, it was as a refugee. I was fleeing. Of course, leaving Philly is bringing back some of those feelings. Like I ever need reminding.
I haven't been handling this stuff too well. I have said the wrong things to the right people and the right things to the wrong people. I have managed to mangle my own feelings as well. Even though the Alan de Botton book was very thought provoking, I have not made great strides in thinking philosophically. Meanwhile, I have been denying myself books! You see how crazy I have been making myself? But there is so much to do, and so many things I want to do. I definitely need to read ...the thoughts are broken... (I don't want to get the link from Bloglines because I don't want to lose the twenty-two posts waiting for me, but I DO recommend it, and truly, I will read/respond when I can! When is that, she wails...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hi Lisle,
My heart goes out to you! I am so scared of leaving again, and I've barely got here.
We may have learned how to "detach" at an early age but it doesn't get any easier. In fact, I think it gets harder the older we get.
Wishing you well and hoping this can be your last move! Take care of yourself,
Mark
Post a Comment